The Miners Pilght

Re: The Miners Pilght

Postby Baron Peppers » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:07 pm

Giving Emily a blank stare wile she rants, Just be for he was about to say some thing Leander Warrick speaks up. The Barons expression changes with a slight grin as his point is made. But upon hearing the nauseating voice of Father Sahaal half speaks a name, his eyes close as he pinches the bridge of his nose and his brow furrows out of irritation before looking up and speaking.

“You are absolutely right Emily I’m not from Alden and I never said I was. So is Baron Warrick at the risk of sounding like a parrot I was referring to the fact that there are only a few people in Greyhook currently who have the authority to attempt to make new laws,”

“Unless you are planning on usurping the local government I don’t see why you would take disrespect from it. Because it is not directed at you other wise. But it sound’s like you have a guilty conscience. So is there something you are trying to say? Well if you are or your not, it’s not my responsibility, because as you pointed out this is an Alden settlement not one of Elenzio’s.”
Baron Peppers

Postby Emily Alice Thatcher » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Legs still crossed, Emily allows a single boot to tap against the leg of the table she is sitting at. Her eyes narrow slightly as all three men address her, but she allows them to come to their points. After taking a few audible breaths through her nose (that do not appear to comfort her much), she finally speaks in a soft voice. Or at least, a softer one than she used previously.

"I...apologize...for speaking like I did. It was uncalled for, and I am certain it was not targeted toward me personally. However." Her voice changes again, to something a little more solid. "No matter who you think you are," she brings her eyes up to meet Sahaal's. "And no matter what...position... you're in," she glances at Peppers. "It really doesn't matter out here."

Holding out a pre-emptive finger to Leander, cutting him off from the argument she assumes he is about to make, she continues. "Oh, law and order are important, yes they are. Power, though..." She lets out a short chuckle. "Anyone can take power in the absence of it. Isn't that right, Father?" she says in a saccharine-sweet voice, clearly mocking the priest, and quickly bats her eyes at him. "Which, if I'm not mistaken, is...right here. The authority given to you means nothing to me. If you respect me, I'll respect you. How does that sound? But I will not throw away respect on a title. That being said, I see no reason not to respect you three clearly hard-working men."

She begins to turn away, and then as a kind of after-though, turns back toward the priest. "Oh, and Father? I'd like to see you try it. I will not allow thinly-veiled threats to shy away from me." She concludes with a wide, obviously fake, but still congenial smile.
Emily Alice Thatcher, formerly Private Thomas Thatcher of the King's Navy
Master Mechanic, Novice Surgeon, and Scientist Extraordinaire.
"She can fix everything but broken hearts."
Emily Alice Thatcher

Postby Wolfman2006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Father Sahaal's eyes twinkle dangerously whilst he listens to Emily's passionate retort, but otherwise his expression never changes from his traditional smug smile. When she finishes he momentarily looses his demeanor, openly chuckling softly as if to some private unheard joke.

"Ah miss Thatcher if you wish to interpret my advice as blunt threat, than perhaps the good baron was right: there is something on that conscience of yours. Trust me miss Thatcher as a man of my word: if I had the intention of harming you, do you really think I would waste my time with idle threats? Come now, you want respect? Give me a reason to, try earning it. All your uncouth accusations, your hostile emotional outbursts and tantrums, you are making it rather difficult."

Looking around him he then gestures to Mr. Warrick, and Pastor Talbot.
"Look at the two men next to me. One is preacher of the heretical Chayodyne Order. A sect that was founded off the teachings of the Arch Heretic Chayodyne the traitor who was burned justly at the stake for his heresies. He openly stands for what the holy church condems, and in all probability will destroy when the time is right."

"The other is a Dhampir, a wretched bastard child of humanity and the demon-kind. His very existence is a sin against the Almighty, as is tolerating it. I recite prayers of penance nightly for and not ending that spawn of darkness's life personally."

"However, in spite of all the reasons that these two men should be considered my enemies, I respect them more than most I have met in my travels. While delusional that he can control his evil nature, Baron Warrick seems to recognize what he is. And has gone so far to risk his life, to destroy greater evils than himself. If and when the Arch Heretic Markis has been smote, Baron Warrick deserves recognition for his own part in the struggle. Pastor Talbot, while my opposite in nature, has never failed to recognize what truly matters. He has made it his work to keep the peace, even when it may not concern him personally. He has risked his own hide time and time again to help those who may end up killing him one day."

Looking back to her with contempt on his face
"You on the other hand? Are loud, rude, easily offended, quick to jump to wild conclusions, and are starting to annoy me. If you can't learn to play nice, you should run along now little Emily."
The Lord Solomon Sahaal of Loreard, Consort to the Queen
Acolyte of the Scion of Masks
High-Arch-Heretic, The Fallen one
Ex Inquisitor, Former Priest
Current score: 2240 points
Wolfman2006

Postby Marcellus » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 am

The doors swing inward, creaking on rusted hinges as Marcellus steps inside. Wiping a hand through his tousled hair he casts about the room, spying Pastor Talbot he walks directly to the table. Flashing a winning smile at Leander and Sahaal he sits down.

"Well, Ryan was in a right fit when I passed by him a few minutes ago. Why is it precisely that we can't be civilized to one another?"

Marcellus rests his elbows on the table, steepling his fingers.

"Now I understand folks are getting a little riled up about the whole Dr. Cobb is killing Black Trumps thing. Let me be very clear. The Lord Auldways stance on this situation is very, very clear. The Black Trumps are villains, rogues, thieves and cheats. As far as he is concerned they are to be slain on sight. I disagree that it is our only method of dealing with them, but when we tried to imprison them, the jail exploded. So obviously traditional methods don't apply too well out here. Cobb did what he thought was right. The constable indicated to him that the only justice sometimes was frontier justice. Assemble a posse and gun down the culprit. So he did, then he healed the man and sent him off as a message, that’s one step better than the local law would have accomplished if left their own devices.

I do hope that in the future push does not come to shove, but we are dealing with a thoroughly understaffed and underfunded constabulary, a raging economic recession and a disconnected noble class. These situations together have created a very large and deeply entrenched criminal element. The Black Trumps rob and threaten the citizenry of the town, and the Lord wants them gone. How we go about accomplishing these ends is up to us.

I will tell you what I tell any worker in my employ. Think creatively, work collaboratively and act proactively. If you have suggestions on what we can do to win the hearts and minds of these people over than I suggest you propose them. Let’s work together, rather than function as a random assortment of rogue elements. I’ve been trying to find ways to make the miners safer while working, and soon I hope to find ways to expand the presence of my business here in order to create legitimate jobs. Many Black Trumps are in a economic situation where the only place they feel they can turn is to crime. Hopefully when provided an alternative, some folks will choose honest labor. I’ve seen it in Alden a thousand times.”
Last edited by Marcellus on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcellus

Postby Ethan Talbot » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:36 pm

*Pastor Talbot lets everything sink in, cocking an eyebrow that seems to be stuck just like mother said would happen if he made that face at Sahaal's retort to Emily looking around for a moment and seeing some eyes on him he stands up between the assorted speakers.*

"The Trumps have taken a liking to deciding their own rules, the department burnt down, the Alphabet gang has a grip on this community, we have a far larger criminal element moving in to prey upon the poor miners, the mines are closing down, we have people very much forced to commit acts of frontier justice to stem the tide of criminality, strange beasts roam the night terrorizing everything they come in contact with…"

*His voices raises, the Confederate accent slightly giving way to the rising frustration in his voice*

“Monsters seek to tear us to pieces beings thought extinct walk casually through town while cults of alien beings lurk in shadow spreading their heresies, many of our own people are being pursued by both man and beast all focused on this little town AND ALL WE CAN DO IS BICKER?!?”

*Pastor Talbot’s calm demeanor fades, the humor in his voice evaporates venting his frustration to the room his eyes flashing angrily as he scans the bar.*

"To sum it all up for ya’ll YES we HAVE to deal with this threat of criminality because we are the only ones who can, no we cannot make our own laws because we are under the rule of Lord Aulderway and his interpretation of such laws, and being condescending to each other

*He shoots a look to Father Sahaal*

Or antagonizing each other

*His angry eyes turn a moment to Ms. Thatcher and Baron Peppers* Do nothing but destroy the best chance Greyhook has at salvation!

*He cools down a little, his voice no longer angry, but tired and deliberate, pronouncing every syllable.*

"I saw people pointing guns, blades, and readying spells at each other last gather. I saw people ready to cut into each other to solve petty grudges, bullets and spells best left to those who would do REAL harm, the wolf is at the door folks and we’re bickering on things that right now don’t matter… Anger and mistrust between us is a luxury and vice we cannot afford right now until we can save these poor people from this fate, like it or not we are the line in the sand now… Phenex willing we must be righteous people and be law abiding and able to at least until the greater threat, do we have to like each other? NO… do we have to swallow our pride, strong enough to overcome our prejudices and unease for the sake of others? YES… we must because we can. We need to trust we will have each other to depend upon when the battle begins or we may all just go home now and let Greyhook become a cesspool. A house divided cannot stand my friends…

*He sits down, head in hands looking almost embarrassed by his outburst.*
Pastor Ethan Talbot, Shield of Chayodyne
Score: 1455 Why's it so warm? Why am I in this hand-basket?
Ethan Talbot

Postby Leander Warrick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Leander rolls his eyes slightly at the mention of Lord Aldway. "Correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't Lord Aldway here to deal with the miners and to represent the mining corporation? If he is here in such a capacity then I wonder why we are deferring to him as the ruler in this area. The people of Greyhook must have a system of law in place that they see fit to follow, one that has helped them endure in the Wilds of Ayos for so many years." Leander leans back and crosses his arms.

"I agree with Pastor Talbot that we have greater things to worry about than bickering among themselves, one that I have been trying to express for some time. Ethan is correct in saying that we are plagued with terrible creatures and beasts that seek to destroy us. How then have the people of Greyhook survived so well? We have been here for less than 5 months and already several members have experienced more than one death. And yet the local inhabitants don't seem to have such troubles. Sure, many of them die or go missing, but they are by far much less trained than us."

Leander pauses for several minutes before lowering his voice just a little. "The inhabitants of Greyhook must be more than they appear, or be connected to something very powerful, perhaps the cult we are trying to learn more about. And yet many of those who have recently arrived seem to continue to hassle the locals. And many of you continue to try to claim to make laws, or that Aldway is the highest power in this area. Despite the fact that it is curtsey to those living here, there is a greater reason you should respect them and their laws. If they have the ability to survive in the Wilds as they do, then what other powers do they have? If they were to view us as hostile they could cut off our resources and possibly drive us out to the even less protected areas."

Leander leans close and speaks in a volume just above a whisper. "If any of you have brains inside your thick skulls you would be polite and kind to the locals and try not to stir up trouble. At the very least, it would behoove us to learn the laws and those in authority and show them respect."
Score: 1013

Hmmm, did I play the game right? Or did I play it wrong?

That is the true question.
Leander Warrick

Postby The Nameless Fury » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:53 pm

He slowly looks up from his translations taking a moment to let his mind come to grip with the world around him. He slowly glances to the doors and windows. "Now seems like a very good time to bicker we are going to do it anyway. May as well be while nothing assaults us. As for the locals we all know how they have been out here alone for so long and been safe and it is no book of law, and as for ourselves we have all shown a willingness to do as we please we view the laws of our home countries as we see fit. I hardly think a little piece of paper will stop that."
No, just Professor.
The Nameless Fury

Postby Dr.Elden » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:38 am

The automaton doctor steps over to Emily and briefly touches her shoulder.

"They cannot help being who they are Miss Emily, no more than you or I can. After all, each of us is nothing more than the sum of our experiences, for good or ill. In this, I must ask that you agree to disagree. For the moment at least we have more pressing concerns, as Pastor Talbot and Mister Beckett so aptly point out. "

He steps away and steeples his fingers for a moment in thought before turning his attention to the group at large.

"If I am correct that the consensus is that something must be done about the violence that is being inflicted on the miners of this town then we should instead focus on what each of us should be doing to isolate the cause of it and establishing a protocol to deal with it. The precident of law indicates that the punishment for crimes of this nature range from imprisonment to execution. While I feel that the unnessicary ending of life wasteful, we do lack proper facilities for prolonged incarceration."

He looks to each party in turn as he 'speaks'. "Each of us has skills that the others do not. Rather than argue about how the others should conduct themselves we should instead be deciding which tasks should be.. assigned to whom. Mr. Beckett and Mr. Warrick, perhaps your efforts would be best directed into locating the cause of this outbreak of mayhem. Father Sahaal and Pastor Talbot, as our resident spiritual advisors perhaps your efforts should be directed into determining a method to determine if these miscreants can be rehabilitated, or if indeed they are beyond salvation. Myself, I will of course attend to the injured, as will most all of my colleagues."
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Postby Emily Alice Thatcher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm

Still wide-eyed from Pastor Talbot's outburst, Emily looks to the mechanical hand on her shoulder. She relaxes with the doctor's words and nods in an answer to his suggestion. Silently, she listens to the small dhamphir speak and a speculative look crosses her face.

When everyone has spoken, she says in a moderate (slightly more humbled) tone, "Has anyone thought to ask?" Emily glances around and looks everyone in the eye at least once. "I mean to say, has anyone bothered to ask Lord Auldway, or anyone for that matter, *what* exactly the laws are? Leander, you are absolutely right. Whatever laws they already have in place here have kept these people going, and have certainly kept them alive, even in this miserable place. We would do well to take a leaf from their book. Don't you think?"

With that, she blinks and looks down at her hands.
Emily Alice Thatcher, formerly Private Thomas Thatcher of the King's Navy
Master Mechanic, Novice Surgeon, and Scientist Extraordinaire.
"She can fix everything but broken hearts."
Emily Alice Thatcher

Postby Leander Warrick » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:47 pm

Leander pinches the bridge of his nose for a moment. "I think I was misunderstood. I do not mean that the laws that the people have upheld have kept them safe. I meant that we should respect them and do our best not to anger them, lest they run us out of town or do something more sinister. You all forget that there are a very large number of residents and miners here. Certainly they outnumber us. If they wanted, the local people could at the very least make our lives miserable. With that in mind we should learn their laws and follow them, as to show respect to these people."

He pauses for a moment. "If we, all those who have migrated to Greyhook, decide to... deal with the townsfolk in a different manner later, that is another issue that will be dealt with when the time comes. However, for the present we should do what we can to ingratiate ourselves with the locals."
Score: 1013

Hmmm, did I play the game right? Or did I play it wrong?

That is the true question.
Leander Warrick

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Landry's Social Club