The Etymarchy's Ultimatum

Re: The Etymarchy's Ultimatum

Postby Alexei » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am

Gregor, perhaps you should listen more closely when someone speaks. No one begrudges him of his anger, we all understand that an attempt on someone's life is traumatic and stressful. What we take exception to is the spoken words and open threats.

Your master may not wish to do this outside of the law, but he has already started by not going to them first before declaring he was starting an investigation. You cannot dispute that fact. Local law enforcement is not an option in this matter, it is a necessity or your master is acting outside the law.

The points I brought up about you and Jack are relevent because if he does indeed intend on using the local law enforcement, like you claim, then all of the facts cannot be discarded. You refer to Sahaal as your master rather than using his name. That is obedience and it cast aspersion over the validity of your personal claim. I am not saying that its right, but that is how a lawyer or inquisitor can spin it. If Sahaal does find the culprit, the law of Alden supersedes the law of the church and the would be assassin will stand trial there, not in a church (unless you can get the Aldenians to cooperate).

Additionally, the reason I brought up the conditions regarding yourself and Jack are because without word of mouth, there is no proof that the assault was performed by anyone of the order. I can wear a potato sack and put a medallion around my neck, but it does not make me an official of the church, does it? I have seen people not affiliated with churches use the power of faith and if you think the people who would teach such things are beyond corruption you are naive.

What you have is a lead and that is all. What I am stating is that I have no problem with the investigation so long as it is conducted within the scope of the law and the ones involved do so with tact and respect. If father Sahaal cannot be completely objective in his investigation, then he is not fit to perform such a thing and should request another from the church perform the task.

No one thinks the assassination of the King is related to the attempt on Sahaal. Frankly, Sahaal is not important enough to be mentioned in the same breath as the king. There is information floating around about the King's death and I believe a good portion of it has made its way into the appropriate hands, so following Sahaal's lead is not the only clear and logical path.
"The minimum or maximum value that separates acceptability from unacceptability."
Alexei

Postby Gregor » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:14 pm

*Gregor remains seated as he begins to speak.*

"Well clearly you weren't present for this whole conversation since the Sheriff himself is the one who first made the suggestion that the assassination attempts were no coincidence. I understand that you are getting caught up in small details instead of looking at the big picture. That's fine since I'm sure a little insubordination towards the Church won't interfere too much. Although I'll leave that decision up to higher individuals. Apparently it is not well understood how much influence the Church does wield in Alden. I can't get angry with ignorance that cannot be helped. As time goes on everything will be revealed and I'm sure you'll all look back and laugh about the time you thought that a Church investigation was going to be "unlawful". It's only an investigation and I don't see why everyone is blowing it out of proportion. More evidence will be gathered then whatever little paranoia you have can be put to rest. In the end everyone will be happy, except the guilty ones, I'm sure they won't be too happy. I don't see why anyone would start off being unhappy unless they think they won't be happy with the results...."

*Gregor finished speaking and he reaches into his bag since he remembered that he had food the whole time. Gregor takes out one of the stomachs he keeps with him for food. He opens it up and begins eating whatever is inside.*
Gregor
Sahaal's Faithful Servant, Freelance Physician, Academic Extraordinar, Bride to be? And Greyhooks Longest Serving Deputy

Score: 781
Gregor

Postby Alexei » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Gregor, the small details you seem to think I am getting hung up on are the laws of Alden. I am sure they are trivial to people who do not wish to act in accordance with them, but that is a perspective I do not share or condone. I do not think you are listening to what people are saying. Perhaps your new found intelligence is still taking time to fully manifest, so I will attempt to break the situation down a bit for you.

No one has a problem with a church investigation. It is expected that when an attempt is made on the life of a church official that an investigation will follow.

The only problem anyone seems to have with the formal notice of said investigation is myself. My issue stems from the fact that it was posted before the constable was properly informed. Until that step is taken, the investigation is unlawful if it is indeed an act of the Church.

Threatening those who are acting in accordance with the law is also unlawful. One would expect if the church and Alden are so supportive of each other that a church official would act in accordance with the law. I find it hard to believe threats on the lives of others would even be condoned in Elenzio.

Given these facts, the greatest display of ignorance is by Sahaal and by yourself for attempting to justify his actions, without acknowledging everything that he has said and done in regards to this matter and how they relate to the law.
"The minimum or maximum value that separates acceptability from unacceptability."
Alexei

Postby Gregor » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

*Gregor looks puzzled, puffs on his unlit pipe, then responds.*

"An unlawful investigation? An investigation is simply the gathering of facts and last I checked asking questions was not against the law. As I said before my master spoke harshly and you can be critical of that if you so choose but he has not broken any law by posting a piece of paper and offering an ultimatum. He is currently underway in getting more than church approval to continue his investigation. I assure you that justice will be served within the confines of the law. I do hope you're understanding this now. Do you have any other concerns I could possibly help alleviate? I am simply here to help explain Inquisitor Father Sahaal's words so that we're all on the same page."

*After speaking Gregor returns to his partially digested meal.*
Gregor
Sahaal's Faithful Servant, Freelance Physician, Academic Extraordinar, Bride to be? And Greyhooks Longest Serving Deputy

Gregor

Postby Alexei » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:34 am

Threatening the lives of others is a crime. Do not be delusional.

A private investigation is allowable as long as no unlawful acts are committed while in the pursuit of information, by threatening people, Sahaal is acting in an unlawful manner.

If he is acting with the consent of the church, then he is not conducting a private investigation and must inform the local authorities BEFORE beginning an investigation. By posting the notice and vocalizing threats, he has acted in an unlawful manner.

Please stop trivializing procedure. Your admission that at the time of his posting the notice is condemning proof; Sahaal has acted in an unlawful manner.

He should have obtained the church's permission before mouthing off and certainly before posting a notice in which he speaks for the church in this matter.

Good day.
Alexei

Postby Gregor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:06 pm

"Well, he has the Church's permission. The Church has undertaken a private investigation. I don't see how you came to the conclusion that the Church's involvement makes this investigation unlawful. Please let me know when asking questions is outlawed. Again I'd like to stress the fact that my master has not out right threatened anyone, he has simply warned those individuals who might work against the Church. You might have misunderstood him. I urge everyone here to pay attention to the words that were spoken and not the tone that was used when expressing those words. Instead of bantering and whining about the big mean Inquisitor who is just doing his divine duty, you should probably go talk with local law officials and check your facts. Otherwise you'll just be repeating the same old tired and unwarranted complaints and frankly I'm trying to eat so unless anyone has useful information that could aid the Church please don't waste my time or yours."

*Gregor smiles wide and waves while still seated.*

"Good day to you too!"
Gregor

Gregor

Postby Petrie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 am

"... Eat?"

Mahssy looks up. His mandibles click shut around the remnants of the carcass. He carefully makes his way over to where Gregor is sitting, skittering under tables and such, and slowly reaches a hand out to taste the stomach in Gregor's hand, some bits of mammalian effluence still resting between his yellow, chitinous claws.

The claw makes contact just before Gregor notices. Mahssy scoops out a handful of the contents and slathers it in between his digits.

"Terrible."

The carcass drops out of Mahssy's mouth and onto the table in front of Gregor.

After staring for a moment, Mahssy does a quick head-twitch and makes a beeline for the tavern door.
My name is Hive: for we are many.
Petrie

Postby Alexei » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Alexei

Postby Ethan Talbot » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:14 pm

*Pastor Talbot's head leaves the table after the conversation ends. Now resting it upon his hands sighing deeply to himself.*

"This... this is going to end poorly, no matter how it turns out we have a very angry Inquisitor itching for a fight and whats worse the possiblity of instigators masquerading as Shields attacking people and causing a further rift between the two churches where not need be. We can't afford this, it feels like the world's going to hell in a Handbasket and people can't wait to get in line..."
Pastor Ethan Talbot, Shield of Chayodyne
Score: 1455 Why's it so warm? Why am I in this hand-basket?
Ethan Talbot

Postby Molly Mayweather » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:35 pm

In sharp contrast to just a few short months ago when she would have dismissed this whole thing as boring talk, Molly had paid close attention to the entire heated argument. There was a loud metallic click! in the following quiet as the jammed valve came loose, and she handed it back to Anton. She walked back to her previous seat near 424 and replied to the Pastor, "I'd like to get out of line, please."
Molly Mayweather

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Howard's Tap