Agony of Defeat

Agony of Defeat

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 pm

The bandaged man takes long, powerful strides toward the bar, taking the most direct route, ignoring most obstacles (and people) in his path. He sets the oversized rifle down with a loud -THUNK- and orders a tall drink. He mutters a "Cheers, mate," before gulping down a large portion of the ale. He is angrily grumbling to himself, but quickly stops when he realizes that people can hear him. He finishes the glass and orders another.
"And those seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Re: Agony of Defeat

Postby Wolfman2006 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am

"Is drinking in such quantities really the best course of action for one so upset... or mentally unstable? You are clearly aware of said instability as you recognize when it can be perceived. I must say it is pleasantly surprising to see some recognition for one's madness, it does get wearisome dealing with ignorance of their own mental wellbeing."

The Inquisitor sits nearby with a small tumbler half full of a white Elenzian wine, the bottle rests on the table next to him, sharing the space with his black shield. His face is neutral with a touch of amusement or perhaps curiosity, he gestures at the seat in front of him as a clear invitation and places a second tumbler on the table.
The Lord Solomon Sahaal of Loreard, Consort to the Queen
Acolyte of the Scion of Masks
High-Arch-Heretic, The Fallen one
Ex Inquisitor, Former Priest
Current score: 2240 points
Wolfman2006

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 pm

The hunter turns his head over his shoulder and smiles at the Inquisitor with a toothy grin just wide enough to be unsettling, his good eye fixes on the Phenexian as his pupil shrinks to a pinpoint, almost as if the hunter had acquired a target. "Figures that the preacher-man orderin' the sheila-drinks criticizes MAH drinkin' habits..." He accepts the invitation and takes the seat. "Don't worry about me, mate. If I were to REALLY start drinkin', I wouldn't be carryin' a rifle with a full cartridge!" He laughs before his disturbing grin vanishes. "I just don't take defeat very well. Those Volskagradians are gonna wish they made sure they finished me off after that. They'll be back, I'm sure... and when they finally do come back, trust me, I'll be ready for 'em." He pauses for a gulp of ale. "As for me... 'mental instability,' as ye' call it; Don't criticize what ye' don't fully understand," he says, the same maniacal grin returning to his face.
"Ye' look interested..." the hunter says through the grin, his eye reading the Inquisitor's. "Sorry, mate, but that's as privileged as information gets. Yet, YOU invited ME to this conversation, so what've you got to offer to our 'chat'? What's a rich sissy like you doin' 'ere anyway?" His grin widens... the eye remains fixed on its target, for the hunter had now taken an interest in the Inquisitor who dared to invite him for a chat.
Last edited by Enthusiastic_Emo on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And those seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Postby Wolfman2006 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:08 am

The inquisitor chuckles lightly and his movements cause his golden armor plates to clatter gently against each other.

"Say what you will, and man of the cloth aside: but the swill you call a drink is hardly a proper glass of Elenzian Wine. While my position does in fact give me a certain degree of comfortable living, I would hardly consider myself a rich man. The majority of my money belongs to the Church's coffers, utilized at my discretion. As for what I am doing here... think about that for a moment. Think about the things you have seen, the events that have taken place, do you really need ask what an Inquisitor of the Almighty's blessed Etymarchy is doing here in Greyhook?"

Looking slightly more serious, the priest fails to hide his experience in the matters he speaks of.

"Defeat can be difficult to bear, but when it happens it is important to learn from the experience to prevent a repeating occurrence. They came at us in an organized and efficient manner, hardly unexpected from professional soldiers. While we on the other hand are not nearly as well organized, nor as experienced in large scale military skirmishes. Something that will need to change should we hope to survive additional attacks, or incursions."

The priest sips at his tumbler and eyes the bandaged man appraisingly.

"By the way my comments were not criticism but a compliment in fact. We all have our inner demons so to speak, being unaware of them is dangerous if not fatal mistake. You are completely correct that I have no idea regarding the details, but I find them irrelevant. You appear to know what matters, and you appear to harbor a grudge against the Volksgradians that goes back farther than our defeat and near capture at their hands. Am I wrong?"
Wolfman2006

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 pm

The hunter smirks at the reply to his question. "Good answer, preacher man. A safe answer, but a good one, nonetheless."

He listens to the Inquisitor's speech about defeat and winces at the mention of Volskagradians. "You're correct there all across the board, preacher-man," he said, "You could say I have a sort of ... grudge... if you like making understatements of things... Not exactly a subject I feel comfortable talking about freely though, you understand."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Postby The Nameless Fury » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:23 am

He quietly watches the exchange between the two man while writing in one of his many books.
No, just Professor.
The Nameless Fury

Postby Emily Alice Thatcher » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 pm

Emily has been keeping an ear on the conversation up until now, and he presence was made known by the glass she elbowed off the table (which, it should be known, did not break, but merely made a loud clanging sound).

"Bugger..."
Emily Alice Thatcher, formerly Private Thomas Thatcher of the King's Navy
Master Mechanic, Novice Surgeon, and Scientist Extraordinaire.
"She can fix everything but broken hearts."
Emily Alice Thatcher

Postby Wolfman2006 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:40 pm

The Priest allows himself another amused smile

"I am so glad you approve, it is always good to come to an understanding isn't it? On that note, regarding my... understatements of your grudge: fair enough, I shall let that lie undisturbed. We all have our sensitive subjects lets call them, and it wouldn't be fair for me to press you without giving one of my own in return. For example: I personally am not fond of rude unsubtle eaves droppers...

The Inquisitor looks up and clearly speaks past the man across from him
"Miss Thatcher, please why don't you join us? I trust you don't need to be caught up on our conversation?"

Father Sahaal gestures at the bench next to Phineas, allowing a mocking tone to touch into his invitation.
Wolfman2006

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 am

"We have that in common, at least..." Phineas whirls around, with the grin that seems to be permanently attached to his face. "Ah, yes... the doctor - mechanic sheila with the pistol thats too big for her! Come on, sheila... take a seat!" In an effort to mimic a gentleman, he stands and gestures to a seat next to him, bowing slightly, maintaining eye contact as well as the grin.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Postby Emily Alice Thatcher » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:08 pm

Emily looks up slowly from reaching down to pick up the glass. "I was not eavesdropping, Your Majesty. It just so happens that you were speaking very loud. I found it more entertaining than the voice in my head, so to speak."

She stands up and brushes off her pants legs. "But, since you offered..." and walks to where the gentlemen are indicating. "I'm finding I can't say no to that face..." she says with a smile to Phineas, and then casually tosses to Father Sahaal, "You're not too bad yourself there, Highness." before winking at him and sitting down.
Emily Alice Thatcher, formerly Private Thomas Thatcher of the King's Navy
Master Mechanic, Novice Surgeon, and Scientist Extraordinaire.
"She can fix everything but broken hearts."
Emily Alice Thatcher

Return to Board index

Return to Howard's Tap