Questions you shouldn't ask and answers you don't want...

Re: Questions you shouldn't ask and answers you don't want...

Postby weaseljester » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:19 am

Hey guys,
its great to see the 2nd update on the rulebook. The expanded skill lists and a few new classes are great. But once again I have a few questions.

Looking at the warlock header I noticed that you dont have a skill for them to use staves like the mage which allows them to block with the 2 handed weapon while casting. Which honestly I dont mind but for me it raises the question can a caster cast with something in there off hand as long as its a single one handed weapon?

The Blood pact ability lets a warlock reduce the cost of the embues by 1 attribute, with Sign of the Kings can I choose which attribute to save being that the cost is two different attributes?

And the last question I have is there a email address I can send questions pertaining to character histories?

Shawn
"Detritus" 01510

Shawn
weaseljester

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 am

hey Shawn, glad to hear you like the new stuff.

So, in general, when casting a spell, both a character's hands must be free (unless they have a skill that allows otherwise, such as Staff).
Having said that, if a Warlock is able to wield melee weapons, they can wield a one-handed weapon while throwing packets they previously imbued, such as with Blistering Spheres or The Shriveling. These Dark Truths imbue a character with the ability to throw packets later, so throwing those packets does not count as spell casting.
Now, this exception does not cover Dark Truths that are not Imbues (The Sign of the King and Wail of Oblivion). These are casts, so both the characters hands must be free.
One thing to keep in mind here is that Warlocks suffer a Weakness when any of their Dark Truths are imbued, so any strikes they make with a melee weapon are uncalled damage and no called effect can be delivered with the melee weapon.

when using Blood Pact, you choose the attribute to save, so Sign of the Kings can either cost E or W, its up to you.
[UPDATE: just realized that Sign of the Kings is not an Imbue, so you Gesture for Paralyze as soon as the spell is cast. So while you can cast it as a ritual, its spent as soon as the ritual is over. The same applies for Wail of Oblivion.]

For histories, Jacob is in charge of all the fluff aspects, so he's the one to talk to (Jacob@losteidolons.com). While we pride ourselves on replying as fast as we can, life does come up sometimes, so if he doesn't reply in a day or so, feel free to email GM@losteidolons.com. That address reaches our entire staff, so you're guaranteed a result quickly
Matt
Site Admin

Postby Jacob » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:00 am

On the subject of shields:

While we appreciate the effort you have gone through to make your case and have found elements of your arguments compelling, at the present time we maintain that, in the current iteration of the rules, no skill allows the use of a shield of any kind.

To clarify from a rules stand point: a) shields are not bullet proof. Any bullet striking a shield surface would count as striking the wielder. b) No skill in the rulebook allows a character to wield a shield or buckler of any kind.

To clarify from a fluff stand point: Shields were quite popular until the advent of firearms. The invention of portable guns capable of dealing significant damage to the terrible life forms of Ayos was, simultaneously, the invention of portable guns capable of punching through all known portable shields. Given the prevalence of firearms, those carrying shields soon earned the moniker "Targets," and quickly disappeared from the face of the planet. The Dorr, proud warriors and bestial beings that they are, are fearsome creatures fully capable of ripping apart foes, including trained swordsmen, with naught but their claws.
Jacob
Plot

Postby weaseljester » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:31 am

Yeah good point on the Sign of the Kings. I was thinking for some reason ALL Dark Truths were Imbues. But if in the future other Truths are created I know the answer.

Shawn
"Detritus" 01510

Shawn
weaseljester

Postby weaseljester » Mon May 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Non-euclidean sign gesture. What exactly is that? The only things I can think of that would seem are either crazy ninja hand movements or showing the horns. Neither of which I think fit the theme.

If a warlock has pistol training and has a imbue by eldritch up that means he can not fire the weapon correct ,as its a called damage?

The automata mechanical regen. ability allows the automata to heal or repair one point of armor, what is the call for that? And do they have to be concious for it to work?

Shawn
"Detritus" 01510

Shawn
weaseljester

Postby Jacob » Mon May 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Non-Euclidean Gesture and the Sign of the King: Bit of a joke, there. H.P. Lovecraft, in an effort to describe the utter alienness of certain dread and inhuman objects and places often referred to their "hideous non-Euclidean geometries." The fluff would be that, by using eldritch magics and moving your hand in a mindshattering pattern that involves passage through other worlds than these, you entrance your target. In practice: we're bound by the laws of physics, so make a good attempt at a spooky gesture and end up pointing at your target. Savvy?

Warlocks and Pistols: Surprisingly enough, upon reflecting on the core Accelerant rules, it would seem that you can fire a pistol while under a weakness effect, as the rule states "Your ability to strike with melee attacks is severely weakened. You cannot deliver any called effects with your melee attacks. Weakness does not affect uncalled strikes or any other weapon skill. The Weakness effect will last until you rest for five minutes." My interpretation of the phrase "or any other weapon skill" is that if you had a non-melee weapon skill, you would be able to throw called damage and effects. So...guns are ok.

Mechanical Regeneration: Yes, you would have to be conscious as, unless otherwise stated, you cannot use skills while unconscious. The call would be "Heal to Self" or "Repair Armor to Self."

Good questions all!
Jacob
Plot

Postby weaseljester » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Damn see I was hoping you would KNOW the signs...damnit =P

thanks again!

shawn
"Detritus" 01510

Shawn
weaseljester

Postby Jacob » Tue May 05, 2009 6:35 am

Oh, I do, but I can't share--that would be telling.
Jacob
Plot

Postby weaseljester » Thu May 14, 2009 6:11 am

Some of us back here on the home front were discussing character creation and another question popped up:
since there is no real "weapon styles" in the headers except for the bladesman off hand dagger skill, Is it within the rules to carry both a pistol and a one handed weapon at once? Or even 2 guns at once much like the western cowboy icon.

Shawn
"Detritus" 01510

Shawn
weaseljester

Postby Jacob » Fri May 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Apologies for the delay:

Under the present rules set given on the downloads page, players cannot design characters that can either dual wield pistols or wield a pistol in one hand a melee weapon in the other. As I put in an e-mail on the subject earlier today, "I'd wink, but it would just look like I had something in my eye."
Jacob
Plot

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion