Questions you shouldn't ask and answers you don't want...

Re: Questions you shouldn't ask and answers you don't want...

Postby Prospero Santarelli » Tue May 19, 2009 5:19 pm

What exactly is the difference between Alchemy and Chemistry, as listed in the Practical Knowledge skill? What sorts of creations fall into each of these categories?
Prospero Santarelli

Postby Jacob » Tue May 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Alchemy is an inherently magical art practiced by mages. Alchemy requires the alchemist to expend attributes in addition to symbolic components (e.g. Aqua Vitae, Tar), but allows for fairly miraculous effects. Potions that fortify against the rigors of Ayos are fairly common (e.g., Resist Fear), as are globes of noxious substances capable of harming and hindering foes (e.g., Root by Resonance, Frenzy by Resonance).

Chemistry is a purely scientific pursuit using chemicals and minerals (e.g. Sulfur, Glycol) to good effect. Chemists are capable of producing both benign substances (such as Biohelical Diagnostic, capable of exposing known races) and horrifying agents (Mustard Spray is just...awful...)

Does that help?
Jacob
Plot

Postby Sir Gilliam Stardust II » Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm

I've got a question about Twist Points. You recommend that we take a few, but what is a few, exactly? How many is too many?
Sir Gilliam Stardust II - Gentlemen
"So, you do realize that inside your locked box there's going to be another, smaller locked box, don't you?"
Turns out there was a smaller box inside the box! We were right all along!
Sir Gilliam Stardust II

Postby Ken » Tue May 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Welcome to the forums. I love you.
Ken
GM

Postby Jacob » Tue May 19, 2009 7:54 pm

True.

That said, I think my favorite response so far was "A couple is fine, a few will make life interesting, and someone almost spat their snapple when someone took 12."
Jacob
Plot

Postby Matt » Tue May 19, 2009 8:05 pm

just to clarify, we don't necessarily recommend that people take any. A character with no twist points would still be able to enjoy the game perfectly well. So if anyone feels that that they don't want any twist points, feel free not to take any.

That said, if you feel compelled to take 43 twist points (the highest total possible at the moment), do be aware that your character's existence will be... horrifyingly "interesting"
Matt
Site Admin

Postby Jacob » Tue May 19, 2009 8:19 pm

And short.
Jacob
Plot

Postby Sir Gilliam Stardust II » Tue May 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Sir Gilliam Stardust II - Gentlemen
"So, you do realize that inside your locked box there's going to be another, smaller locked box, don't you?"
Turns out there was a smaller box inside the box! We were right all along!
Sir Gilliam Stardust II

Postby Sparrow Harper » Tue May 19, 2009 11:26 pm

so in theory, when game on starts, we could probably tell who has the highest twist points, since the majority of the things your character has to take on to get twist points the crazier, skittish and mentally unstable they are bound to be...

unless of course your like me and your all those things without having that many twist points and is just acting that way cuz they can.
:shock: :mrgreen:

i personally am still deciding if i can handle the amount i took on. speaking of which...

question: is there a way that one can take on one of those particular traits without taking on the twist points? because i love the idea of putting it in my charie history but i also want my charie to live on for many adventures... is 6 high or low?

*deceased*

Sparrow Harper

Postby Jacob » Wed May 20, 2009 11:12 am

Clarification of GMly Behaviour: We have stated our stance on twist points. In this matter, much like in many non-explicitly-rules-based matters, we will attempt to remain nigh unto maddeningly vague. Ms. Sparrow--would you classify 6 as "a couple?" "A few?" Perhaps "12?"

Twist points represent the plot price for making a character ridiculously spooky or some such. They are a tag that should say to players "You do not know everything this entails. And we're telling you that. Caveat Emptor."

We encourage people to take qualities that enhance their histories.

Twist points can be viewed as a way to check your history--is it utterly ridiculous? Have you tried to plot-munchkin your way via history into all sorts of grandeur? You have 27 twist points? Try again, and lose the "and I am the last steamborg King from a fallen and forgotten City, product of illicit relations between a toaster and space bees."

Players cannot separate a quality from any attached twist points. They are inextricably linked.

Also, you should not be able to tell if someone has many twist points without some effort. Twist points are "plot twist" markers, not "that person is twisted" markers (though there is some overlap.). A noble traveling incognito, for example, would behave perfectly rationally, but would have twist points. Likewise, a doctor who lost a leg to a train accident could be a thoroughly charming individual. I won't comment on the folks who have inhuman forebears.

Does that answer your question?
Jacob
Plot

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion