Father Carmichael's sermons

Father Carmichael's sermons

Postby Tucker » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:11 pm

Below is the text of Father Carmichael's rantings. Apparently, sometimes people want this stuff. I've included both the short sermon from September and the (even shorter) reading from October.

Warning: May or may not contain heresy.

Hear now the words of Phenex:

And Phenex spoke to Adephon: “It is thy charge to cleanse humanity of the corruption of its birth.”

And Adephon replied: “How? How might I cleanse my people?”

”With fire,” said Phenex. “For fire is beyond man and does not share his frailty.”

“Fire?” said Adephon. “What can fire do that steel or timber or the labor of man cannot?”

And the wrath of Phenex grew great, for Adephon did not see the truth placed before him. The angel spoke: “I do not speak of mortal flame, but of the gift of the Almighty – the divine fire that can be found in three parts: the fire without, the fire within, and the fire beyond. If thou do not wield these tools in balance, then thou art damned.”

Praise be to Phenex.

The fire without, the fire within, the fire beyond. The charge of Phenex to man. But what do they mean? And how might we turn them to our purposes?

The fire without – retribution. This is the wrath that we turn on the enemies of man, the enemies of Ayos, of the Almighty’s orders. This is the flame that burns. The faithful use the fire without when they destroy the wicked, the heretic, the inhuman.

The fire within – purpose. This is the strength that empowers the faithful, the dedication to enact the will of the Almighty. This is the flame that tempers steel in the forge. The faithful fan the fire within when they spread the truth of Phenex across Ayos, encouraging the growth of the communities of the faithful.

The fire beyond – purity. This is the refinement of our souls that brings us closer to the designs of the Almighty. This is the flame that cleanses. The faithful stoke the fire beyond when they bring their thoughts, their minds, their hearts in accord with the will of Phenex.

Retribution, purpose, purity. These are the tools of the will of the Almighty. Any creature, any savage Dorr, any soulless automaton, may harness the fire in part. But only the righteous man may grasp them in full. So, enact the will of Phenex! Spread his word across Ayos! Feed the flame inside of you! Use the gifts of the Almighty, that evil may by extinguished and our world redeemed.

A reading from the works of Delphila:

As Adephon passed, he cried: “No, I shall not leave my work undone.”

And Delphila said to him: “Father, you have done all that the Almighty has tasked to you, all that Phenex charged to you. By your hands, man has become the instrument by which Ayos can be saved. Do not despair.”

But Adephon wept still. “Nothing,” quoth he, “awaits us in death. Naught but an eternity of darkness, an endless quiet, lies ahead of me. No reward for my toils, no glory from the Almighty.”

Delphila despaired to see her father so, but she knew the truth. Taking him in her arms, she spoke: “Naught but darkness awaits us for we are flawed. We are wicked, we are depraved, we are nothing. We are the children of Phenex and his madness. But weep not, for you do have glory: you have labored to see truth triumph over lies, compassion over rage, faith over hesitation. By your work, the future of man is brighter, and one day all of Ayos may shine with the fires of heaven.”

And Adephon passed from life, his fire burning nevermore.
Tucker

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion