Steampunk Craft Supplies?

Steampunk Craft Supplies?

Postby Taz » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm currently working on a new project (inspired by LE, but not for it), and I am kinda stumped. Searching through craft stores, ebay... just online in general, I can't seem to find a decent source for things like large spare gears or clock hands.

Anyone have suggestions for where to get some nice Steampunky odds and ends?
I am not a cat-girl.
Taz

Re: Steampunk Craft Supplies?

Postby Project 424 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:06 am

Sometimes you can find bulk purchase possibilities on Ebay or on Etsy.
Time will tell.
Project 424

Postby illuminatisvie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 am

Etsy tends to only have watch gears and cogs.

I find all my gears on ebay. You want to search for clock movements. You can occassionally find several for sale in lots. You can get a lot of gears and other brass pieces that way. Be careful of auctions for just the gears though, as people tend to list the tiny watch gears as clock gears. It's rather annoying to buy a lot of 30 gears cheaply and get a tiny 2" round tin full of tiny gears.

Dr. Bryan Rafferty
DR. Bryan Rafferty
illuminatisvie

Postby Dr.Elden » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:35 am

One thing to be careful of with old watch gears and hands is radium exposure. :o

Many of the old 'glow in the dark' watch faces and watch hands actually used a slightly radioactive compound to produce the glow. :shock:

probably not that big of an issue on larger clock movements, but it's something to be aware of with watches and watch parts.

I do know that if you're looking for smaller gears like you'd find in watches, I've heard that you can get them in bulk from Fire Mountian Gems.

or more specifically

A search there for 'steampunk' will net you a massive array of bits n' bobs as well.
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion