This just in: We're Doomed! And Now The Weather

This just in: We're Doomed! And Now The Weather

Postby Ethan Talbot » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey guys, here's the weather report for the weekend.

Short version: REALLY COLD, rainy, possibly even snowy on Saturday.

Friday night will have a low of 29 degrees, so below freezing and incredibly unpleasant, although it will be dry so we at least have that.

Saturday is going to be harsh, we have a 50/50 chance of rain and snow with a high of 48 degrees and an overnight low of 30. So at best cold and wet. At worst, slushy, icy, and slippery for the majority of the day.

I will take this opportunity to reiterate the concerns of hypothermia (warm tavern, hot drink, staying dry, these things will keep you and your friends alive) Icy patches to slip on and do some real damage, and weapon compression due to the cold (So check your swings if it's getting cold because they WILL be harder and will hurt more.)

Sunday looks okay, height of 50, dry, sun and clouds, probably when we break so cleaning up will be pleasant enough and we will have nice warm vehicles to ride home in.

The link to watch for changes
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USMA0148

Take care all, and I can't wait to see everybody Friday!

-Tom "Pastor Talbot"
Pastor Ethan Talbot, Shield of Chayodyne
Score: 1455 Why's it so warm? Why am I in this hand-basket?
Ethan Talbot

Re: This just in: We're Doomed! And Now The Weather

Postby Jack Graft » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Is the weather for this game cursed?
~Lt. J. Graftanimus
"I can help you with that. I know a guy."
Jack Graft

Postby Jacob » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Yes.

It's Greyhook.
Jacob
Plot

Postby manus dei » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 am

It reminds me of mother Volskagrad! I think I;ll be doing some sunbathing this weekend at home sadly. Have fun guys and stay warm, not all of you are Volksa!
Ivan Berzin

"In Volskagrad, Mosquito repellent is a gun!"

manus dei

Postby Dr.Elden » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 am

Advice for LARPing in the cold:

LAYERS!
sweet ISS Phenex, layer up people! a good set of thermal underwear is worth its weight in gold when it gets cold.

SOCKS
Pack twice as many socks as you think you're going to need. Anytime you go into your cabin after being out and about, change your socks. You'd be amazed how much body heat you dump out your feet into damp socks.

SHAKE A LEG
I know this falls into the TMI category but go pee often. The more empty your bladder is, the less energy your body will spend trying to keep it warm and the more it'll spend on keeping you warm.

MAKE A BURROW, OR A BURRITO
At night pile on the blankets. If you can, wrap them around your sleeping bag like your favorate mexican flatbread. You'll lose as much heat downwards as you will upwards, so having some insulation between you and your mattress will be a good thing.

BETTER LIVING THROUGH CHEMISTRY
If you can find them, buy stock in those little charcoal heat packs. they last a good 6-8 hours and put out a metric F-ton of heat. Just tucking a pair of the handwarmer packs into your pants pockets will do wonders. They make larger ones that have adhesive on them for joint and muscle pain as well. One of these on the small of your back can help stave off the worst of the chill.
A word of caution on these however: they can get HOT. Quite uncomftorably so in fact. So unless you're a frostbite sufferer like me, you might want to either make sure you can move it around, or put a layer of fabric between you and it.
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Postby Jacob » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:04 am

Actually, on that note: If anybody wants to donate a pack or ten of those hand warmers to keep the monsters alive, we'd be grateful.
Jacob
Plot

Postby Dr.Elden » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:09 am

I'll hit up my local camping store and see if I can score a box, but other people may want to do the same.
I'd rather have too many than not enough. Just remember the March event. :shock:
Besides, they have a shelf life measured in years. If we dont use 'em this weekend we will next year I'm sure.
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Postby Anton Ivanovich » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:55 pm

Also Jacob check your stuff already, I gave you guys three boxes awhile ago and I've seen them floating around since. For those who wanna get your own your local tractor supply company should carry them by thebox!

Greyhook Militia Commander
Anton Ivanovich

Postby Jacob » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:29 am

We've been using those at a pretty steady clip, actually. And this weekend is going to be cold.
Jacob
Plot

Postby Dr.Elden » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 am

Latest weather report predicts rain on Sat. afternoon changing to snow late in the day. They're predicting about 8 inches in the franklin area. :shock:
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Next

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion