Weapon Specifications

Re: Weapon Specifications

Postby Dr.Elden » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:31 pm

In response to the many people who claim that latex weapons are unsafe:

Currently being sold at all major toy retailers, right beside the very same nerf guns that are allowed using the accelerant rules. These use a more dense foam than even the latex weapons and are rated at ages 8+.

All Accelerant games (and all LARPS in general) require players to sign a waiver of liability indicating that the player is aware of the risk of injury. Whereas any kid with $20 can buy one of those at any toy store in the country without an adult even present. Which is more unsafe? You be the judge.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but if someone is overswinging then you call them on it. If they dont stop then it's the game staff's job to eject them from their game for unsafe fighting. Weapon construction has 0% of the consideration in that equasion. Overswinging is overswinging. Lord knows I revoked peoples combat skills when I staffed at a larp when they fought unsafely.
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Postby Zedulon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:46 am

I agree that it's all about the players using the weapons safely.

That being said, game staff need to have an easy way to police safe play. It's really hard for staff to go out and say, "Bill can use latex weapons, Bob can't." Bob will, of course, complain bitterly, and there will be lots of OOC conflict. It's much simpler and makes things go far more smoothly to stick to a common set of weapons construction guidelines that any player - even novices - can use safely.

I've seen the result of trying to approve certain players to use latex weapons. Trust me, it was ugly.
"Real automata don't feel pain."
Zedulon

Postby Thomas Cribb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:58 am

Thomas Cribb
Thomas Cribb

Postby Matt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:05 am

and hey look at that. Sorry guys, this thread took a weird turn somewhere and got way off track. If you guys want to continue it, feel free in private messages, but I'm kinda tired of reading this.

Frankly, there's no point in arguing latex vs. boffer because Lost Eidolons is an Accelerant game, and the owners of Accelerant have strictly stated that latex weapons are not allowed in games. If you want to argue this amongst yourselves, as I said, private messages or email is fine. that's your business, but it sounds like everyone has their opinion and no one's changing it. If you feel strongly that latex weapons should be allowed, great. Take it up with Rob Ciccolini. He's the only person you'd have to convince, but something tells me he's not going to change his mind suddenly.
Matt
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion