Weapon Specifications

Re: Weapon Specifications

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:21 pm

Would glow darts be acceptable? It might make the darts easier to recover in the darker hours of the day. I can imagine people crawling on the grass looking for darts, and I was just wondering.
"And those seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Postby Alexander Kayle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:45 pm

The problem with glow in the dark darts is that you have to either paint them or apply the stickers that comes with the white darts from [insert the name of the gun who has slipped my mind; I'm too lazy to look it up right now]. With either option you are adding weight, increasing drag and reducing the viability of the darts.

With shots being as precious as they are, people are unlikely to want to do anything that will make their attacks less effective. It's a cool idea, but I think with the fact that people won't actually be shooting that much, people won't really need to worry too much about ammunition recovery as one shot will kill almost anyone, so the round can be recovered shortly after firing.

And shining a light in the dark will likely pick up on the neon orange color anyway...
"Yes, that Dr. Kayle. Yes, the one from the books. No, I didn't write them and- no, it wasn't like that, it-! *sigh* Nevermind."
Alexander Kayle

Postby Dr.Elden » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 pm

A small blue (or UV preferably) light makes the fluorescent orange tips of most nerf darts glow like neon in the dark. This makes cleaning up after a battle quite easy. (and makes locating darts in grass simple for people like me who are colorblind and cant -see- them in the grass)
Dr. Elden Tyrel
Dr.Elden

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Feel free to use the white darts. I enjoy them myself. However, please don't add the stickers to them or any glowy stuff; people will get the wrong impression that you have some sort of special bullets (sans initialing them with a sharpie, of course)
Alex
King of the Monsters

Postby Enthusiastic_Emo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:21 pm

All excellent suggestions... I'm pretty sure NERF made darts that come glow-in the dark... my question was about those. I might have been mistaken. Nevertheless, you're right about the glowing darts being mistaken for being special in some way. Thanks!
"And those seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
- Friedrich Nietzsche
Enthusiastic_Emo

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Alex
King of the Monsters

Postby Jian O'Connel » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:20 pm

The "Firefly" Gun of Nerf has White darts that are made of glow in the dark material that a little flash bulb in the gun charges as it fires. They apparently come with labels too, but I think the stock dart's tip does glow as well. The charge tends to be pretty short though, even if you use a UV light instead, so I"m not sure that'll make them much easier to find in the dark after about a minute. But, the basic orange foam dart lights up well under UV though so a small UV light can make for a quick sweeping tool. I've used such before to clean up after big night fights in Endgame and can attest to the boosted effectiveness it provides.
Jian O'Connel

Postby Dr. Ryan Cobb » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:44 pm

I think one thing that will really help us with darts is coming to some sort of gentlemen's agreement between combats or at the end of the night.

This will ensure ammo is getting passed around when it is found. Doesn't really solve the problem of finding them at night.
Dr. Ryan Cobb

Postby Stilly Black » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Ross and i found a TON of darts when we did our clean-up sweep this morning, and most of them had symbols or initials on them, so hopefully they can be reunited with their owners next event.
Stilly Black

Postby Mordecai » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Mordecai

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to OOG Discussion